This delicious amasi dish is a great meal for a cold day. It’ll warm you up and the whole family will enjoy every bite!
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium heat and add the onions. Cook until soft and add the ginger and garlic, masala, turmeric and cumin.
- Add the beans, chopped tomatoes and the stock and season with salt and pepper. Place a lid on pan and simmer for about 5 minutes on low heat for flavours to be absorbed by the beans. The mixture must have enough sauce to be absorbed by the dumplings
- Now make the dumplings/dombolo.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and the salt
- Add the herbs to the amasi
- Add the amasi to the dry ingredients – use a knife to mix in the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix to make a soft dough
- Place the dough on a floured work surface and shape the dough into a thick sausage, cut out 2cm thick rounds to make your dumplings
- Place all the dumplings on top of the bean stew. Space evenly and place lid on the frying pan.
- Cook on very low heat for about 20 minutes until the dombolo is cooked and puffed up. Sprinkle with the paprika and chopped herbs