This recipe is often enjoyed in the Bo-Kaap and is guaranteed to be a hit with the whole family. There definitely won’t be any leftovers.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and cook the onions for 2 minutes, add the garlic and ginger paste as well as the fennel seeds, coriander seeds, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, garam masala and mild curry powder and cook until it starts to brown a little. Stir all the time
- Add the chicken to brown – be careful not to burn your spices
- Add half of your chicken stock, place the lid on the saucepan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and the rest of your stock – cook until the rice and chicken are cooked and all the liquid is absorbed. (add a little more water if needed – it will take about 10 minutes) Stir through the lentils and the chopped apricots
- Taste and adjust the seasoning
- Serve topped with the tomato, almonds and coriander as well as the egg